Preparing for Your MSL-BC® Exam
What is the MSL-BC®?
How to apply?
Preparing for Your Exam
Candidates should prepare thoroughly prior to taking the MSL-BC® examination. To help prepare for the examination, candidates should review the References section of the MSL-BC® handbook, as well as the Detailed Content Outline sections in the handbook.
Refer to the References section of this handbook for a list of references which can be used to prepare for the examination. These references should not be considered the only possible study option nor should examination candidates feel like they need to read all of the references and are provided for informational purposes only.
Detailed Content Outline
After carefully reviewing the Detailed Content Outline section and identifying individual learning needs, examination candidates should identify additional references and study opportunities as necessary.
The best preparation is to understand the MSL-BC® knowledge requirements and their application to the MSL Role. Therefore, to prepare to take the MSL-BC® Exam, one should study this outline and especially consider the underlying knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform as an MSL or MSL leader. It is recommended that an eligible candidate use this outline to identify knowledge gaps for constructing a relevant preparation plan. Because of the nature of the exam, there is not one single comprehensive source to go to in order to study or prepare. Choice of study aids will depend upon learning style and current knowledge base.
WARNING: The Medical Science Liaison Society DOES NOT sponsor or endorse any specific educational courses; even if the course is advertised as a “prep” or “review” course for the exam. Those creating these courses do not have ANY inside information about the exam. The Medical Science Liaison Society is not affiliated with any organizations claiming to prepare one for the MSL-BC® examination. You should not expect them to directly cover exam content. The same information that is included in this handbook to help you prepare is publicly available to those creating any “review” courses or materials.
- After completing the exam, the results will be verified and an official score report will be emailed to the candidate within 3 weeks. The score report provides information on whether the candidate passed or failed the examination and the number of questions correctly answered. The passing score reflects the standard a committee of experts has determined to be appropriate for certification, according to accepted testing development guidelines.
- For those who achieve a passing score, details explaining the MSL-BC® credential, how to use it, and information regarding the 3-year certification period will be included. In addition to a score report, passing candidates will also receive a downloadable version of the certificate from the Medical Science Liaison Society Certification Committee.
- For those who do not achieve a passing score, a confirmation email will be sent which will include information regarding the retake process, fees, and details on how to prepare for the exam.
- Under no circumstances will scores or passing information be released over the phone or online.
- Examination questions and answers will not be released to candidates.